School of Art and Media
Facts and Figures
- Approx 2400 students on 37 courses, based in three buildings (Edward Street, Grand Parade and Watts) at City Campus and Moulsecoomb campus
- Approx 245 staff combining 145 academic, 100 Professional Services: Technical, Academic Admin, School Operations, Placements
- School comprises four subject groups each with UG and PG courses as follows: Fine Art; Media; Visual Communication; Fashion, Textiles and 3D Design, each with c.600 students.
- PGR Student numbers have been growing steadily over the last five years and now stand at c.27 with excellent completion rates
- Total applications for UG and PG for 2021/22 show an increase on 20/21; UG application is predominantly Home; PG application is increasingly global.
- Art and Design at UoB rated 8th in the UK and in the top 100 globally in the QS World Rankings
- Learning by doing and Practical Wisdom at the heart of our curriculam
National Awards SoA and SoM ALUMNI
Our Alumni include three Turner Prize Winners:
- Rachel Whiteread (BA Fine Art Painting) in 1993; Keith Tyson (BA Fine Art Critical Practice) in 2002 and Helen Cammock (BA Photography) in 2019
- Alumni Miriam Escofet (BA WMCP 1989 - now 3D Design and Craft) won the £35,000 BP National Portrait Gallery Portrait Award in 2018 and
- Charlie Schaffer (BA Painting 2014) won the same award the following year in 2019.
- Visual Communication Alumni Luke Best, Miles Donovan, and Pete Mellor who work together as ‘Peepshow’ were Emmy Award Winners in 2015 and again in 2019
Things we have achieved in the last five years include:
- Course redevelopment and repositioning to secure application and enrolment
- Athena SWAN Bronze (both Schools)
- Development of a UoB Centre of Research Excellence in Arts and Wellbeing
- Establishment of Crossing Cultures group and work to decolonize the curriculum
As stated the Schools of both Art and Media have only very recently merged to form the new School of Art and Media. The merger is so recent, they still appear separately on our website. You will be able to find out more information about each part of the School in the following links:
Luke Fuller (BA 3D Design and Craft 2018) won the Business Design Centre ‘New Designer of the Year’ in 2018
|Luke Fuller - Business Design Centre New Designer of the Year 2018
BA Fashion Design with Business Studies graduate Hannah Gibbons (2018) won the ‘Graduate Fashion Week Menswear Award 2018’
|Hannah Gibbons – winner of the GFW Menswear 2018 award
BA Fashion Communication with Business Studies graduate Feiyi Huang (2019) won the ‘Graduate Fashion Week Photography Award 2019’
|Feiyi Huang – GFW Photography winner 2019
MA Fine Art graduate Elizabeth Eade won the £10,000 Hix Award 2019
|Elizabeth Eade - winner of the 2019 Hix Award
She won £10,000 towards her studio costs and a solo exhibition at HIX ART in 2019. Eade claimed the prize in a fiercely fought competition with over 700 other applicants.
Immi Grey (3D Design and Craft 2020) won the Business Design Centre New Designer of the Year in 2020
BA Printmaking graduate Kathryn Maple (2011) won the £25,000 John Moores Prize 2021